Opportunity to create a landmark development
Extreme waterfrontage lots
Number of options exist and huge upside
This is a rather special, strategically located waterfront Site, which encompasses 1.05 hectares of near level land and features excellent utility and exposure, frontage to three constructed streets, direct access to all essential infrastructure services and an immediate nexus with the downtown precinct of the Town of Bowen.
The Site also enjoys a contextual setting with the recently completed Foreshore Esplanade Precinct, the Town Jetty and the Catalina Memorial (all of which offer a high level of visual interest in the local seascape) and is flanked to the north and north-east by some significant historic buildings.
The 4 lots would readily accommodate some innovative urban design practice to link the existing Town Centre with the Foreshore Precinct, whilst providing superb opportunity for expansive sea views over the waters of Edgecumbe Bay and beyond to the northern Whitsunday Islands.
This opportunity for development of a prime waterfront Site should be viewed in the context of a favourably disposed Local Authority and an appropriate Mixed Use Zoning status, signifying a preference for a mixture of business, retail, residential, tourist accommodation and associated services, service industry and low impact uses to be developed therein. The Whitsunday Regional Council adopted its new Planning Scheme for the Region on 3 July 2017 and will publicly advertise a Local Area Plan for the Bowen Foreshore Esplanade Precinct in the near future, which would also include this site. The Local Area Plan could potentially provide greater development opportunities for the site with possible increased height and density options.
The broader Town Planning parameters under the new Planning Scheme generally favour a mixed use style of development over the Site, comprising a range of core Residential accommodation styles (including long-term and short-term accommodation) with supporting Retail and Commercial uses. The site maintains a maximum building height of 12 metres above ground level which would facilitate a building with five levels comprising basement car parking, ground level of commercial/retail and three levels of residential. The new Planning Scheme does not limit or prescribe a maximum population density and accordingly the total number of units on each site would be dependent upon the design principles applied. Potentially each lot could accommodate up to 24 x 1 and 2 bedroom units or 18 x 3 bedroom units.
Vision Surveys (QLD) Pty Ltd (VSQ) have co-ordinated the surveying and planning approval for the site and have very experienced and qualified in-house planning staff to assist with future planning proposals for the site.
The following condensed Summary reflects the core Town Planning determinations for the Site.
* Mixed Use Zone
* Examples of consistent and preferred long-term accommodation uses include Dual occupancy, Dwelling house, Multiple dwelling, and Residential care facility.
* Examples of consistent and preferred short-term accommodation uses include Short term accommodation and Rooming accommodation.
* Examples of consistent and preferred business activities include Food and drink outlet, Market, Office, and Shop/s.
* Examples of consistent and preferred Entertainment activities include Bar, Club, Function facility, Hotel, Nightclub entertainment facility, and Theatre.
* The level of Assessment and Application protocols which would be required for various proposed uses are explained in the Planning Scheme under "Part 5 - 5.5 - Categories of development and assessment - Material change of use".
Permissible Maximum Building Height
* Maximum building height for all buildings or structures is 12.0 metres.
"Performance Outcomes" and "Acceptable Outcomes" to guide the design and development processes are contained in Part 9 - 9.3 Use codes under the Planning Scheme.
Contact Tony Mancuso from Tourism Brokers for further information or to arrange an inspection.
Property ID: 11DS (quote when enquiring)